Monday, October 15, 2007

Expansion, contraction and the spiral dance

The thoughts are firing through my head so fast I dont know if my typing can keep pace with them - especially since I am having to back track to get the original thoughts down first.

The themes of expansion and contraction seem to keep popping up for me. First it was an early morning experience of travelling with my thoughts forward until I reached a point where I thought 'how did I get here?' and backtracked through to the original thought, noticing the twists and turns and deviations. This was something I did a lot when I was younger and when I did lots of long distance driving. I was forever in awe of my minds capacity to weave such intricate webs of thoughts and fantasies.

At the last circle of the sun I got speaking to another lady, who has a Hindu background and began recounting my thought journeys from the morning - about the return of my love for being lost in thoughts - the expansion and then contraction of my thought patterns. She told me about contraction and expansion from her point of view. She suggested finding some quiet time after my walks, while my heart rate was still up to sit quietly and feel the expansion. Reminded me of my yoga teacher saying when I was pregnant that peace was the pause between the inhalation and the exhalation. During the weekend just past I can a chance to experience lots of moments along this theme of inwards and outwards motion.

Having spent a blissful two days at the Goddess Conference on the Gold Coast, I can see that as my world and my experience of that world is expanding, I am really honing down other aspects of my life, as I search for and begin to practise my truth.

Lucy Cavendish spoke on the second morning of the conference - urging all the women there to go out into the world and share their stories with others - to share them with those who will feel least inclined to share with. I realise as I become more certain of my truth (as the contraction down into the truth is strengthened) that my confidence level increases, I am more certain of myself and will have the ability to go out and share my stories with those I would have long steered clear of in the past.

I realise in this constant ebb and flow of movement, that my path is not a linear one and neither is my experience of life's lessons. My friend Dalissa pointed out in our creative cluster yesterday that learning can also be seen in a spiral sense - points being revisted and contacted again over time (reminds me also of the retrograde motion of the planets and the other conjunctions that they create in their backwards transits!) It makes such better sense to see life in this manner. Two steps forward and one step back can always seem soul destroying.

And just to round out the beautiful synchroncity of it all ... on the weekend I got to dance the spiral dance for the very first time. Interestingly enough as the line of dancers began, I realised that I would be on the outer perimeter of the spiral and was thankful (being claustrophobic) and was grateful, but as the dance progressed and the circle became tighter and tighter, I would have been happy in the expansive joy of the dance to have been held tightly in the middle. A lesson for life perhaps.

Postscript: Lucy lead us in an Aphrodite visualisation, where we met with the Goddess and asked her a question. On our seats when we sat down there was a Tarot card placed face down. The answer from Aphrodite was in the card. My card was Temperance and when I sought Lucy out later on to ask after it, she said that I was sitting at a midpoint (yes - we've already been through that!) that it was like a sword that had be fashioned, and my Truth is that Sword. She said that to make the sword hard and durable it needs to be forged in the fire first. Lucy told me that I know my Truth, it is there, but I haven't had to go through the fire for it and once I have done that I will step out of the middle and make a decision.

2 comments:

d sinclair said...

what a lovely post Jodi... I loved this:

My card was Temperance and when I sought Lucy out later on to ask after it, she said that I was sitting at a midpoint (yes - we've already been through that!) that it was like a sword that had be fashioned, and my Truth is that Sword. She said that to make the sword hard and durable it needs to be forged in the fire first. Lucy told me that I know my Truth, it is there, but I haven't had to go through the fire for it and once I have done that I will step out of the middle and make a decision.

the temperance card is the card of alchemy - the forge is the 'kitchen' if you like and the main work is the union of soul and spirit in matter - its movement is also in all directions simultaneously - through the sulfur/fire into the salt or earth of your felt experience, upward into the mercury or spirit of thought, and moistened with the water of our emotions. the sword, is a symbol for words too - and nothing could be more apt for you right now... beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience Jodi it does sound joyous.As I'm still heavily in assignment mode my filter is a tad skewered to all things academic ...so your mention of the spiral reminded me of a study I came across years ago that said that typically womens careers paths were spirals..not linear. I vaguely remember reading it at the time and thinking well that makes perfect sense.