Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Nanowrimo

It's official - I'm going to have a crack at the National Novel Writing Month competition - to see if I can churn out 50,000 words in the month of November. I thinks its been estimated at about 1600 words a day. I think I have the ability to create 1600 words a day - but creating the space in which to do it, is another thing. However its a challenge, both literary and organisational that I believe that I am up to. I've created my profile on the official website and just have to negotiate some ground rules with Dave and Dylan - though I have to come up with the rules (sounds like the sort of behavioural management strategies I used to use at the high school when I was BM officer!)

I've already got a concept and a simple framework to build the piece on, and starting now to fill in ideas of plot and characters. I had a bizarre moment in the kitchen while cooking dinner when I wondered if it were possible to create characters from my own herstory and have them all converge in one place ... but a little afraid that it may be a little two dimensional and wont really stretch me as a writer ( I will be stretched to simply finish, let alone worry about things like well rounded and thought out characters!) At least its a good place to start with the count down of 27 days to the beginning.

The beginning will also coincide with my trip away to Sydney for the homebirth conference ... so November is set to be a rip roaring month. I can't wait to be back at the page to simply enjoy the process of writing and creating - I have not written an extended piece of writing since I finished my last 'novel' in Year 12 as my communications project.

2 comments:

d sinclair said...

you're doing well to have a framework/plot already... I have one character, or rather an idea for one and I'm going to let the story flow from the Great Creator when NaNo starts... a challenge for faith too!

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

Yea for you! I have to decide whether or not I am going to finish or rewrite what I did last year or if I will write another story which has started brewing in my head since starting AW.