Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sunday Pamper Session

For the longest time I've have been hankering after a mud mask and a hair/scalp mask ... and today was the day. It played into my idea of drawing out and getting rid of unwanted stuff - such as I've been doing with my desk and the general decluttering of the house (the Christmas Tree went back into its bag and into the storage space in the garage)

With my hair doused in my favourite honey, vinegar and rosemary mask (very sticky and drippy) and then forty minutes later with a green clay mask, I looked a treat. Dylan was concerned about my head (I had it wrapped in plastic) and wanted to know if I had hurt myself - bless him! It took a lot of explaining - and I'm not sure if he got it in the end anyway. And then there was the mud mask - thankfully he doesn't cry when he sees it now that he's older.

All lovely bits of nurturing to help me remain authentic to my need to be pampered on a regular basis.

For those interested in some homemade and completely toxic free pampering ... here are my recipes ...

Honey and Vinegar Scalp and Hair Mask
I make it up in bulk and store it in an empty Body Shop plastic bottle in the fridge. This recipe is enough for one person - especially those with long hair.

2 tablespoon honey (organic if possible)
4 teaspoons of cider vinegar
a couple of drops of either rosemary of lavendar essential oil
(alternative to this is a couple of fresh sprigs of rosemary infused into the mixture)

Put honey into a bowl and heat over a saucepan of boiling water. Slowly stir in vinegar once the honey has melted. If adding fresh rosemary do it now, otherwise let it cool slightly and add the essential oil.

Liberally cover the scalp and hair with the mixture while it is warm. For total decadence heat a towel in the oven or the microwave and wrap around your head once you've got the mask on (helps stop all the drips!) If a towel isn't your scene plastic wrap can be used (though it does tend to be a little messier)

Leave on for up to an hour and the shampoo out. It makes your hair feel soft, clean and divine - and it also for great for getting rid of nasty dandruff!

Green Clay and Yoghurt Deep Cleansing Face Mask

2 tablespoons dry powdered green clay (for a less intense mask use white clay)
2-3 tablespoons organic natural yoghurt
3 drops of frankinsence essential oil (or juniper berry if you have oily skin)

Mix clay and yoghurt together and then add essential oil.

Smother your face and neck with it - and then lie back and relax for about 15 minutes. Best washed off in the shower with a warm face washer/flannel.

Beware the green clay has a tendency to really draw the crap our of your face. The first time I did this my face glowed bright red for about an hour afterwards.

Happy pampering!!

1 comment:

d sinclair said...

hmm. might give that clay mask a go - how do you think pink clay would turn out with it?